Technical Infrastructure Engineer (MS Server / VMware) - MA/4380
Main Purpose of Role
The Server team manage the lifecycle of the Microsoft Windows Server platform from build through maintenance and upgrade or decommission for all the major business applications used. Whilst the key focus of the role will be on the management of the Splunk platform (not essential), successful candidates will be expected handle ad-hoc Windows server based requests relating to the management of the platform.
Applicants will need to demonstrate detailed knowledge and experience in managing a Windows Server environment (2008 and above) and the systems which support this platform (such as VMWare ESX 5.5+; Tivoli Storage Manage; IBM Tivoli Monitoring; LANDesk; McAfee VirusScan Enterprise / ENS and Splunk).
The applicant should have a good understanding of scripting preferably with PowerShell and be able to construct and deploy routine tasks through scripted automation confidently.
The applicant will preferably have 5+ years’ experience working in a financial or a similar ITIL framework aligned organisation and preferably have their experience backed up with an appropriate qualification (i.e. Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer qualified).
The successful candidate will need to be able to plan tasks to ensure that deliverables are met to completed on time and to the required quality; be personable and approachable to help deliver the best outcome whether working alone or as part of a virtual team. The candidate will need to demonstrate excellent written and communication skills to be able to convey technical plans to senior management or coach others in new skills required.
Communication skills are a key requirement of the role as the successful candidate will be expected to create and maintain technical documentation to company standard & industry best practice; coach, mentor and train less experienced colleagues and convey (occasionally in non-technical terms) operational and strategic plans for senior management to support cost forecast, platform planning and end of software support / life direction.
Skills & Experience
Functional / Technical competencies (Essential):
• Microsoft Windows Server (version 2008 and above) and VMWare ESX (version 5.5 and above).
• Identifies areas where improved management information can protect the delivery of service and works with others to define processes to routinely collect information and records. Reports and escalates unforeseen or exceptional events.
• Creates instructions or follows agreed plans to deliver change. Documents actions required for all tasks whether simple or complex; confirms correct functionality of installations; coaching others where required and advises supervisor and, if appropriate, users of progress.
• Uses data collected to build dashboards and reports for the customer to highlight information clearly.
Experience working with or supporting the following technologies would be an advantage:
• McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 / ePO 4.5+
• SAN Storage (EMC and Hitachi)
• Red hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL version 6+)
Work experience (Essential):
• Experienced supporting application and infrastructure servers in a large scale corporate environment including experience of supporting at least one current Microsoft Server operating system environment.
• Planning own work and the work of others (including third parties) to ensure delivery to time and cost.
• Experienced in working in a high pressure environment to deliver a first class BAU Service.
• Experience managing the Microsoft Windows Server OS, particularly in a virtual environment (preferably on a VMware platform)
Work experience (Preferred):
• 5+ year’s experience of supporting Microsoft Windows server infrastructure in a large scale enterprise
• VMware experience, creating, maintaining and supporting the lifecycle of a virtual server.
Degree level qualification or equivalent level / recent technology focussed qualification
Please note your CV will not be submitted for this or any other role without your prior approval.
SQ Computer Personnel Limited acts as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Not for you? Share with a friend
Referral Scheme: If this role isn’t for you then perhaps you could recommend a friend or colleague to Haybrook IT. If we go on to place that person in a permanent or temporary capacity then you could be rewarded with £500!! You can find the scheme terms and conditions here.
Haybrook IT Resourcing is Oxford’s leading IT Recruitment agency. With exclusive access to some of the region’s most successful companies, send in your CV today to secure your next IT position.
Haybrook IT Resourcing Ltd acts as an employment agency and an employment business.
We value diversity and always appoint on merit.